Monday 19 September 2011

Homeless

I once used to wake up and 'kasuwa',
My hair undone and my face barely washed,
No caution whatsoever for I must feed my children,
Ina kwana! Ekaaro! quickly I must greet my neighbors;
Abuchi is the meat seller, a bargain unlike any other.

I once used to wake up and be happy it is Sallah,
For Abuchi's I must pay even though little,
For Sallah's my only price is my pot I must make ready;
For I am two things, joyous receiver at this time
And joyous giver at Christmas.

I once used to wake up to a knock on my door,
My sister-in-law walking, labouring for two,
Yesterday my merchandise returned from the South-
Today I can easily lend in "kwudi",
To fuel her easier journey to the West maternity.

I once used to wake up to "the eight" jingle, 
Mama Adamu lovingly cajoling, education is life;
For the mornings, my consolation is the afternoons,
For we must meet, adorned and competitive
Proud to take our wards home.

Today I fear to wake up!
School is forbidden and so "the eight" is slaughtered,
Abuchi is wasted, my costs are uncountable,
I must eat my merchandise and lose a sister in labour.
The cock crows bombs, guns, machetes 
And the cries of widows and orphans.

My home is infested by zombie charlatans, 
Morning, noon and night- 
have all together become alike,
A nightmare I must wake up from. 






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely poem you´ve got here.May the souls of the innocent Northern inhabitants, lost in careless and selfish ethnic clashes rest in perfect peace.Praying that the God of peace will return peace speedily to these war ravished areas.

Anonymous said...

beautiful! I love this poem. very apt and concise! You are super talented.